Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Unbreakable by Kami Garcia



Release Date - October 2013

Kami Garcia
Little Brown Books for Young Readers

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Unbreakable reminded me of a cross between Sleepy Hollow and Supernatural. It's addicting!

Kennedy Waters and have mom have handled life just fine since Kennedy's father walked away from the family a number of years ago. Things take an odd and then downright tragic turn after Kennedy heads to a local graveyard to find her runaway cat. The cat begins acting odd after that, but things worsen when Kennedy's mother is found dead. Kennedy is now alone.

That's just the beginning of the weird changes in Kennedy's life. On her last night in her home, she awakens to find her cat sitting over her, possessed by a demon that wants her dead. If it wasn't for the intrusion of Lukas and Jared, twin brothers and demon hunters, Kennedy may not be alive. She soon learns she's the missing part of the Legion that Lukas, Jared, and two other teens have been trying to locate. These five teens need to find the missing disks to a device that is supposed to defeat evil. Each of the disks is guarded by a ghost who definitely does not want to give it up.

I quickly became addicted to Unbreakable. I happen to be a fan of the earlier years of Supernatural, and Jared and Lukas reminded me a bit of Sam and Dean. The quest to find the missing disks also reminded me a bit of Sleepy Hollow, another show I liked until the end of the season. Having the blend of those two shows was a nice treat for a rainy fall day. I read it in one sitting.

Having finished it, however, I am more than eager to read the next book in the series. I hate waiting to find out what happens next, which is why I prefer when an entire series is released in a boxed set or one large compilation. The next story has just come out though, so I'll be eager to get my hands on a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment