Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Disconnected by Lisa M. Cronkhite



Release Date - June 2014

Lisa M. Cronkhite
The Poisoned Pencil

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Let me start by saying that Disconnected was a challenging book. There were times I loved the novel, and other times when I wondered why it was going so off course.

Amelia (Milly) lost her parents, but she's hazy on the details. Since then, she's lived with her grandfather,until his house burned down, and now she and her grandfather live with her aunt in an old Victorian. One thing is clear, she's not comfortable in her own skin. Many of her actions are prompted by a voice only she can hear that of Amelia, and Amelia is a bit of a bully.

When a mysterious older man starts following Milly around, she can't help but wonder - what is happening? Why can't she remember all the details of her past?

There were times I really liked Disconnected. It's a pretty intimate look at mental illness, something that needs more publicity, especially following Robin Williams' death. I think everyone was shocked by that tragic event. Yet, there were other times when I felt like the title - Disconnected.  Milly ends up facing so many issues, and I don't want to give away the ending, but once a revelation is made, I was just really disgusted and wondered if that plot turn really needed to be part of the story, especially the way it was thrown in at the last minute. Her relationship with Blake, it never is really fleshed out enough. Perhaps if the novel had been longer and more fleshed out, I would have connected better.








No comments:

Post a Comment