Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Wipeout of the Wireless Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales by David Lubar



Release Date - April 22, 2014

David Lubar
A Starscape Book

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Wipeout of the Wireless Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales is the seventh collection of creepy tales for middle readers. Each story is just scary enough for that age group (8 to 12) without being nightmare-inducing. Many of the stories also pack in a good dose of humor, making them ideal for advancing readers.

There are 33 stories in all. While all were good, there were a handful that really stood out with me, so I'm going to focus on them.

After the Apocalypse finds a birthday boy facing a zombie invasion on his birthday. Is his family going to survive the occasion? That story had me laughing, because as a parent I really got it.

The next story to really stick with me was one about bullies - Fabrication. I can think of a few people from my past that I would have loved to do this to!

On a more current note, Walnuts was a hit. My daughter's freshman class faced something like this. Unlike this story, where things take a definite turn, he admitted half a year later that he made the whole thing up, and students who had gotten detentions or suspensions for saying he was faking never did receive apologies. Therefore, I tended to sympathize with the character doing the narration.

Matters of Fax is perhaps most memorable of all because I've often said it would be awesome if a fax machine could do that.

Over all, I cannot

No comments:

Post a Comment