Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, May 26, 2014

Summer on the Short Bus by Bethany Crandell



Release Date - April 2014

Bethany Crandell
Running Press

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

 It took a while for me to acclimate myself to Summer on the Short Bus. My problems were not with the writing, the pacing, or the storyline, my issue was that I wanted to strangle the main character.

The book starts with a very snotty 17-year-old girl, Constance "Cricket" Montgomery. She's been caught holding a party in some stables and is disgruntled that the stable hand ratted her out. Out of desperation, her father arranges to have her serve out her punishment by banning her from going to Hawaii with her best friend, and instead shipping her off to a camp for special needs children.

When the children arrive, Cricket proceeds to pass out after seeing their issues. The only thing keeping her from running off is the very good looking fellow counselor who appears to be a Zac Efron lookalike. Is the potential for a summer romance enough to keep Cricket working with the kids she refers to as having a "smashed-in, dog-faced look... but they can actually feed themselves and even know how to use the toilets." See, Cricket really isn't very likable.

Despite my obvious issues with Cricket, the other characters in the story are quite enjoyable. It takes quite a while before I was even convinced Cricket would be able to redeem herself. The kids, the other counselors, and the camp staff are the people I really loved reading about. I do know there are many out there like Cricket, and I am thrilled that with my daughter's high school and their participation in A World of Difference, embracing people's differences is changing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment