Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando



Release Date - December 24, 2013

Sara Zarr
Tara Altebrando
Little, Brown for Young Readers

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

It all starts with an email to EB in New Jersey and Lauren in California. They've been assigned to be roommates for the upcoming year at UC Berkeley. In hopes of getting to know her new roomie before the year starts, EB emails Lauren and introduces herself. This starts off a semi-turbulent friendship filled with ups and downs, all taking place before the pair even meet.

This is the second book I've read this year that has two authors composing emails to tell a story. I love the approach. It's fresh and really draws you into the story. For that reason, Roomies became a book that I relished finding time to read and hated when life interrupted.

As a parent, it was bittersweet, because my daughter is talking about heading south for college. I really related to both EB and Lauren's parents, perhaps more so that the girls in the book did.

There are problems along the way that many teens will understand and likely say "I've been there too!" From lackadaisical parenting to relationship woes, I think teens will find EB and Lauren to be completely enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment