Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Will in Scarlet by Matthew Cody



Release Date - October 2013

Matthew Cody
Random House Children's

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Young Will, son of Lord Shackley and heir to Shackley House, finds himself exiled while his father is embroiled in the Crusades with Richard the Lionheart. With his home unsafe, Will flees into the woods, where he befriends a crew of bandits whose goal is to rob from the rich and give to the poor. Sound familiar? That's because the crew Will is with are Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

From the start, I adored Will. He may be 13, but he's a tough kid. He's seen a lot, gained experience from his father's men, and can stand up to the best of their teasing. That prepares him for the experiences he has with Robin Hood and the Merry Men.

The story does mirror the classic tale of Robin Hood, but it has its own style that I found appealing. I never could get through The Adventures of Robin Hood as a child, but Will in Scarlet pulled me in with the witty banter, enjoyable characters, and fast pace.

Will in Scarlet is a historical fiction novel, but it's so engaging that I can see a lot of kids who say they hate history really getting into Will's adventures. It's a great gift idea for the coming holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment