Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Friday, August 16, 2013

The Lost Boy - Greg Ruth



Release Date - August 27, 2013

Greg Ruth
GRAPHIX

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Having grown up to enjoy comics like Ripley's Believe It or Not and Archie, I do have a weakness for graphic novels. The Lost Boy is a chilling, but not too chilling, story involving Nate. He has no say in his family's move to a new town. While he appreciates having first pick when it comes to bedrooms, he never imagines his choice will lead him on the quest of a lifetime.

Nate finds an old reel-to-reel recorder in his room, one that belonged to a kid who vanished decades ago. The discovery of the kid's story draws Nate and his neighbor Tabitha, into a new realm. One where an evil creature wants a key, and Nate has no idea where to find it. If they fail, their entire town may be destroyed.

Amazon lists the age group for this graphic novel as eight and up. I'm in agreement. There is an aspect of fantasy, maybe a touch of horror, but it's nothing more frightening than the Harry Potter books had. I also think that many adults will get hooked in the mystery and want to read along with their child.

The Lost Boy is a good way to get kids reading. I know from volunteering in my kids' school that some older kids prefer comics over books, and it's always been my opinion that getting a kid to read is far more important than whether it is a comic or not. With a graphic novel, there are plenty of pictures, but kids are going to be challenged with the vocabulary, too. That makes it a win-win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment