Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, August 26, 2013

Taking Chances - Molly McAdams



Release Date - April 2013 (Reprint)

Molly McAdams
William Morrow

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

I'll start by setting up the premise. Having grown up under the watch of a very strict military father, Harper has only ever been homeschooled and spent her days on the military base where the Marines watched after her. She's excited to move across the country and start a new life attending college in San Diego. Her roommate, Bree, is shocked to learn that Harper has never even kissed a guy.

In San Diego, Harper's best friend, Carter, a 20-year-old Marine, does all he can to keep an eye on Harper that she's on the opposite coast, all while her father ignores her. It isn't long before Harper is falling in love with a Brandon, a smoking hot junior, and also fighting her attraction to Bree's brother Chase. Caught in a love triangle, Harper goes from being inexperienced when it comes to relationships to suddenly having to make a choice, one that is going to break someone's heart.

How do I feel about Taking Chances? It's tough to call this one. I loved the characters, the story moved alone quickly, but things seemed so unrealistic to me at times. Bree's family suck Harper into their midst and soon she's calling Bree's parents "mom" and "dad." They include her in Christmas celebrations and go overboard with their gift giving in my opinion. The teens all seem to have thousands of dollars tucked away and can buy houses, expensive cars, etc. It's all a little too unrealistic for the average college student.

There's another aspect of the story that I can't discuss without giving away a major spoiler. Suffice it to say, I didn't find that very believable. I'd love to be able to discuss my own experiences with situations of that nature, but I'm avoiding the spoiler. If you read the book, you'll likely see what I mean.

Did I love the romantic aspect of this story? Yes. However, it is a bit of stretch to think things would work out so well given the situations Harper faces. You just have to approach the story as being one that is all about the romance...



No comments:

Post a Comment