Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Carnivores - Aaron Reynolds and Dan Santat





Release Date - August 20, 2013

Aaron Reynolds
Dan Santat
Chronicle Books

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Without a shadow of a doubt, Carnivores skyrocketed its way to the top of my favorite children's books of all time. Only a few Dr. Seuss, Mog the Forgetful Cat, and The Cranberry Thanksgiving top it.

The story revolves around three magnificent creatures: a lion, a great white shark, and a timber wolf. These carnivores are being picked on by the plant eaters, and it hurts to be picked on. Hoping to gain acceptance, the three animals try to figure out how they can change so that others will like them.

Carnivores is a children's picture book. It's packed with humor, fun illustrations, and a pretty impressive base message about being yourself.

That aside, the adult in me found plenty of humor in Carnivore from a different perspective. As an omnivore, I've definitely had my share of vegan and vegetarian relatives or acquaintances ridicule me for eating dairy, meat, and seafood. Granted, there are many just as accepting out there, but for those that aren't, their preaching ways tend to get under my skin a bit. I appreciated the book's message from that angle. Be who you are and accept others for who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment