Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Bully Bean - Thomas Weck & Peter Weck



Release Date - July 2013

Lima Bear Press

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

The Lima Bear Stories are the creation of Thomas Weck. His son, Peter, urged him to take the stories he told them as children and turn them into picture books for today's youngsters. Hence, the series of beans surrounding these colorful bears was born.

Bully Bean captures an important message - bullying. Lima Bear loves exploring the underground caves near his home. He never expects Bully Bean, the town bully, to find his peaceful sanctuary and try to attack him. When Bully Bean gets trapped in the caves, Lima Bear has the perfect opportunity to get even with the mean bear. What will he do?

I love the message behind Bully Bean, and certainly appreciated the bear's reactions to the situation. It's definitely idyllic and not always the way things play out in real life, but it would be nice if kids could learn something from this and try to change their ways.

If anything, this book offers the perfect way for parents of children who are or may be bullied to get their children to open up. That said, as much as I'd love to say that some bullies could learn from it, of the bullies I know of from my own childhood or my children's, the bullies all come from verbally or physically abusive households, so I can't see the parents caring enough to try to change their child's behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment