Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Friday, June 28, 2013

A Trick of the Light - Lois Metzger



Release Date - June 2013

Lois Metzger
Balzer Bray

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Without a shadow of a doubt, A Trick of the Light is a book that will stand out this year. Not only is the storyline completely unique to me, but it brought attention to a fact I never knew.

Mike Welles seems to be a normal teen. He plays sports, has friends, and does exceptionally well in his classes. Things aren't always what they seem though. Tensions at home are leading to a change in Mike.

The worse things seem to get, the more Mike starts listening to the voice inside his head. That voice wants to make Mike a happier, more successful teen. Soon, Mike's life is spiraling out of control.

Some reviews jump right in and talk about the main point in this book, but I don't want to do that. I feel that knowing what the voice was kind of ruined the element of surprise for me, so I'm leaving readers to learn it as they read.

I loved the writing style. There was no beating around the bush in A Trick of the Light. The author jumped right into Mike's life and things started steamrolling from there. The more I learned about him, the more I felt for him. I found myself mad with his parents for being so oblivious to the impact their actions were having on Mike.

I picked up A Trick of the Light thinking I'd read a little before bed. However, what really happened is that by the end of the first chapter, I was so engrossed that I stayed up and read it in one sitting. It's not an overly long book, I finished it within a couple hours. It does have a strong message and brings a condition to light that I knew of but never really knew the extent of its reach.




No comments:

Post a Comment