Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Patalosh: The Time Travelers - Z Altug & Tracy Gensler



Release Date -

Z Altug and Tracy Gensler
CreateSpace

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Orion, a ten-year-old traveling with his parents on the HMS Exploricus, had a lousy birthday. Things worsen when the time traveling ship goes out of control, and in the process, Orion sees a beast with red eyes clawing at his window. He awakens to find the ship crashed and he's alone.

Soon, Orion finds some of the crew, but he also learns his parents have been kidnapped by Daaggerd, an evil emperor who will stop at nothing to get both their time traveling ship and the Ancient Book of Spells, a book that Orion's parents protect. It's up to Orion to save his family, but that means solving seven riddles and traveling through time and around the country to prove he is worthy of keeping the spell book safe.

I've never been much of a sci-fi fan, but I do like time travel novels from time to time. Patalosh: The Time Travelers was a little slow to start. This was mainly because I had to form an understanding of the differences between Taloshians and Non-Taloshians and then the characters who are not always human. Once the story reached the actual quest where Orion had to solve the riddles and travel to different countries and time periods, I was hooked.

While Amazon lists the age group for Patalosh: The Time Travelers at eight and up, I would say it's probably a little advanced for some second graders, at least in my school district. Here, there are rules that require children to be closer to six when they start kindergarten, so by the age of eight, most kids I know are just starting books like the Magic Tree House series. This may or may not apply to your child, but I do think parents should be aware that there are 75 chapters and more than 350 pages, so you may have to read the book aloud to a younger child.

I would say that Patalosh: The Time Travelers is ideal for children who have mastered chapter books and are ready for longer novels like Harry Potter or Artemis Fowl. Of the children I see on a regular basis, they hit that stage at 10 or 11.




No comments:

Post a Comment