Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Steam Train, Dream Train - Sherri Duskey Rinker & Tom Lichtenheld



Released April 16, 2012

Sherri Duskey Rinker
Tom Lichtenheld
Chronicle Books

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

There's a rhythmic lilt to Steam Train, Dream Train that drew me in. Can I see it becoming a favorite bedtime story? I most certainly can. The story itself is fun and a little whimsical. There's a steam train being loaded for the trip. That's not what's unusual, what is are the animals loading the cars and hoppers.

As the story starts - "Through the darkness, clickity-clack... Coming closer down the track... hold your breathe so you can hear huffing, chuffing drawing near." The imagery that creates is perfect for the targeted age group of three to five.

Soon the child experiences the work that goes into loading the train. Monkeys spring into action loading up their items. There are also the bouncing kangaroos loading the hoppers. Reefer cards filled with ice being loaded with goodies by the polar bears. These are just a few of the animals making an appearance.

I loved Steam Train, Dream Train. It's got great vocabulary words, the poetic lilt that I found always worked well at putting my overtired kids to sleep. Add in the illustrations and this book is simply a winner!


No comments:

Post a Comment