Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Round is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes - Roseanne Greenfield Thong



Released March 2013

Roseanne Greenfield Thong
John Parra
Chronicle Books

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

I have to say, Round is a Tortilla is one of the best books on shapes that I've come across. It certainly embraces Hispanic/Latino culture, and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. The author, Roseanne Thong, blends Spanish words into the narrative and includes a dictionary at the end so that children and their parents will understand what each word means. I took years of French, but can usually translate some Spanish terms, but there were few that puzzled me, so having the glossary at the end really helped.

The book isn't complex. The different shapes - squares, circles, rectangles, and triangles are compared to items like tortillas, windows/ventanas, popsicles/paletas, quesadillas, and more. The language within the book is ideal for a beginning reader, but there are some Spanish terms thrown in from time to time that parents will need to help with.

I really did enjoy Round is a Tortilla and like the change of pace it offers. From days when the books on shapes usually entailed simplistic things like wheels and balls are round, doors and books are rectangles... (That's what I read to my children years ago),  It's nice to see someone take a unique path to teaching kids their shapes.




No comments:

Post a Comment