Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, January 14, 2013

Flood - Alvaro F. Villa



Released February 2013

Alvaro F. Villa
Capstone

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Flood is a gorgeous book that tells the story of a devastating flood that destroys a family's home. What makes it stand out to me is the fact that there are no works. This is simply a book of images, yet the reader knows exactly what is going on. Children can make up their own stories to go with the paintings in the book.

The story starts with a family enjoying their day, but a storm moves in and they're forced to evacuate while the house is battered and beaten. What happens next is up to you to find out when you browse through the different images.

While I had nothing but positive to say about this book, I happened to have a guest, she's an elementary school teacher, who had different thoughts. Obviously, her job entails teaching children to recognize and sound out words as they learn to read. In her case, she felt the lack of words makes the book useless if your goal is to teach reading. I don't agree, I think allowing a child to form their own story is just as beneficial. However, I can see where someone teaching reading would be frustrated by the lack of words.

Given that, I do think that what you get from Flood depends on what your expecting. I think this is a wonderful book that's useful in allowing children to learn and explore the emotions surrounding a catastrophic event like a hurricane or flood. I recommend it for that reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment