Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Speechless - Hannah Harrington



Released September 2012

Hannah Harrington
Harlequin Teen

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

This is twice that Hannah Harrington's writing has mesmerized me. For a young woman, she has what it takes to have a lasting career, should that be her goal in life. Speechless did leave me just that - speechless. I've heard of some of the things my own teens have witnessed in and outside of the high school, and it always amazes me that kids can be so cruel. Then I go back to my own high school years and I realize that little has changed.

There's one thing about Chelsea Knot that everyone knows, she's a great source of gossip. In a drunken moment, she blurts out something she just witnessed and it leads to tragic events. Upset with herself and the situation, Chelsea takes a vow of silence. Her actions and her vow create a new world she'd never expected to be part of. She's an outcast with both students and some teachers and now must struggle to find her ground.

Chelsea's story rings so true and brought tears to my eyes. I think many teens will empathize with what she endures, and I'd love to think that others might stop and think twice about their actions, but sadly I know many won't until after their high school years. I know this from an adult vantage point.

If you read just one book this year, make it Speechless. There's such a powerful message behind this book. I can't recommend it strongly enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment