Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Giant Pencil - Connor Wilson



Released August 2012

Connor Wilson
Alyssa Machette
Weaving Dreams Publishing

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

A Giant Pencil is written by young Connor Wilson, a boy who started the story at age eight and finished it within a year. It's refreshing having a story about the troubles kids face told from the viewpoint of a child.

I'll start by saying I love the premise in A Giant Pencil. A boy is sick of his siblings, the bulllies at school, and his bossy parents, so when he finds a giant pencil in the woods, he takes it home and puts it to use. Unfortunately, once he's rid himself of all the annoyances in his life, he comes to the startling revelation that he hates being alone even more. He must figure out a way to get back to the life he now misses.

The illustrations are bright and colorful, certainly appealing to the younger crowd. I can see children becoming inspired by the childlike drawings and wanting to create their own.

My one reservation is the age group that's listed as the target reading age, I would change that. In this area, picture books are a thing of the past by third grade. Children move on to longer books, like the Magic Tree House series in third grade, and by the time they're 12, they're well into 200 - 300 page picture-free novels. If parents are looking at this title, I'd personally say it's appropriate for the 5 to 8 range.


No comments:

Post a Comment