Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lucretia and the Kroons - Victor LaValle






Released July 2012

Victor LaValle
Random House Digital

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Lucretia's birthday party goes awry when her so-called friends start to tease her. This 12-year-old girl won't stand for it and kicks them out of her house. Unfortunately, this also makes her a bit of an outcast in school. She simply can't wait until her best friend, Sunny, becomes well and then she'll have a birthday party redo. On the day that's supposed to happen, Sunny disappears.

Soon, Lucretia learns the mysterious family, The Kroons, who she's heard about from her older brother may be behind the disappearance. The Kroons are heavy drug users and not quite human at that. Gathering all the courage she has, Lucretia heads into their mysterious apartment and sets off on a quest to save her friend.

I'll give it this, Lucretia and the Kroons is quite creepy. For a young adult reader, this novella is going to have you on the edge of your seat while putting a few shivers up your spine. For 99 cents, I wasn't expecting something so creepy.

Lucretia is a tough cookie, and you'll be cheering her on. If you enjoy the novellas of horror masters, you should definitely give Lucretia and the Kroons a shot. It's certainly not what I was expecting, and I'm thrilled I came across it.

No comments:

Post a Comment