Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Populazzi - Elise Allen



Released August 2012

Graphia

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Moving to a new school is hard, especially for a girl who's spent every year struggling to fit in. This year will be different. Cara's best friend comes up with a foolproof plan to send Cara skyrocketing to the top of the social ladder. All Cara has to do is become the perfect girl for each guy on the social ladder, and she'll be one of the Populazzi in no time. Climbing the rungs is easier than Cara ever imagined, but she soon learns nothing is as picture-perfect as it might first appear.

I admit, it's pretty easy to get sucked into Cara's world when reading Populazzi.  I see her struggles in my daughter's own high school career, and as a parent, hope my daughter learns what Cara learns sooner rather than later. I snickered from time to time, felt pity others, and really couldn't stop reading until I knew the outcome. It made for one long night, and now I'm dragging this morning! Part of me, however, wished it didn't end and that I could catch up with Cara once more in her senior year.

Populazzi reminded me why I hated high school. I was one of those "betweeners" who wasn't popular but wasn't bottom of the heap either. Sadly, I'm sure I made some mistakes like Cara did, and it wasn't until I was out of school that I learned from some of the popular students that they didn't have it any easier than the rest of us. I am certain teen girls will love this book, but I can see some moms sneaking the copy into their own reading piles too.

Keep watching Roundtable for Kids. An interview with the author is coming soon.




2 comments:

  1. Tracy--

    I was a "betweener" as well, and it's been very interesting connecting as adults with people who at the time were in a totally different orbit from me.

    Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I still remember a few years after graduation, one of the most popular guys in my school coming up to me in a store where I was shopping with my fiance. He gave me a hug, told my fiance how we'd been great friends in middle and high school, and all I could think was "WHEN???"

      My son's just about to start college, and during orientation, he said three former classmates who never even gave him the time of day came up and were chatting like they were the best of friends.

      No matter how much you hate high school, the second you leave those doors, the dynamics change and the people you thought didn't even know you existed, really were paying attention, they just let the ladder get in the way.

      Delete