Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Friday, June 29, 2012

Freaks of the Heartland - Steve Niles



Released July 2012

Steve Niles
Dark Horse

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Trevor has watched after his younger brother for as long as he can remember. Now that his brother is six, Trevor overhears his cruel father stating that they never should have let the boy live. He rushes into action to save his brother. The thing is, he is not your average six-year-old boy. For whatever reason, women in their valley have given birth to monstrous children who grow to abnormal size.Trevor's brother is huge, and possesses strength that's unlike anything Trevor's ever encountered. As Trevor learns there are more like his brother out there, he decides to save them all.

The premise for Freaks of the Heartland is good, and the illustrations are amazing. My issue is that aspects of the story were never really explained. It's the author's choice in the end, but I was left wanting more. I really wanted to understand if it was something in the water, truly the work of the devil, or something else.

For that reason, what I started out thinking would be a hit, turned into a miss for me. It's not a bad book, but it left a lot of unanswered questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment