Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins



Released July 2010 (Reissue)

Suzanne Collins
Scholastic

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

North America no longer exists as we know it today. Instead, the nation of Panem consists of a dozen districts and the Capitol. To punish citizens for an act of rebellion that led to the destruction of a thirteenth district, every year, a boy and girl from each district are forced to be part of "The Hunger Games." This event pits boy against girl and district against district in an no-holds barred battle of survival. The last person standing is the winner.

When Katniss Everdeen's younger sister is chosen as this year's female competitor for District 12, Kat volunteers to go in her place. Kat hopes her hunting skills have what it takes to survive in an arena where contestants must battle to save their lives.

I've heard lots about The Hunger Games over the years, but I've never read Suzanne Collins' trilogy. All of the clamor to see the movies made me pick up a copy of the first book to see what the buzz is all about. I really wish I'd read the first novel years ago. It's an edge-of-your-seat read that has you rooting for Kat from the very start.

There's a dose of romance, lots of brutality, and a riveting plot that holds the reader in suspense. I'm still not sure I'll rush out to see the movie. I've heard it's not anywhere near as good as the book. What I do know is that I'm now eager to sit down and read the other two books ASAP. It's that good.


No comments:

Post a Comment