Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins





Released September 2009



Suzanne Collins

Scholastic



Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth



I'll start by saying that if you haven't read Suzanne Colllins' Hunger Games, stop reading this review. It's going to contain spoilers to the first book.



Catching Fire picks up where the Hunger Games ended.  Katniss and Peeta won the games by threatening to eat poisonous berries, and President Snow isn't happy with their rebellion. He visits Katniss and tells her that her family's life, as well as the lives of her best friend Gale and his family, are at stake if Katniss doesn't convince everyone that she and Peeta are truly in love and plan to live happily ever after.



When the couple's tour around Panem leads to a few riots, Katniss begins to realize that she may not have any control what the citizens of Panem do, and that's not making President Snow happy at all.



Catching Fire takes a closer look at the twelve districts, the people in them, and the structure of the country. For teens who like a romantic angle, that is clearly at play in the book because Katniss does have feelings for both Peeta and Gale, and that leaves her torn on how to keep up the ruse that she and Peeta are in love.



I had friends tell me the pace of Catching Fire was much slower. I didn't really find it to be slow. I was just as riveted to the story and couldn't stop reading. It was a one-sitting novel for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment