Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Breaking Beautiful - Jennifer Shaw Wolf



Released April 24, 2012

Jennifer Shaw Wolf
Walker Books

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

Following a car accident, Allie can't remember more than scattered details about the events leading up to her boyfriend's death. Scarred and depressed, Allie struggles to move on with her life. Returning to school is challenging, especially when most of the class seems to be blaming her for Trip's death. Some students even go as far as calling her a murderer, but they don't know the half of it...

Breaking Beautiful is a tragic story that really drew me in. The reader is made aware of certain facts long before other characters in the book. Trip was very abusive, and Allie has the scars to prove it. As Allie works to remember everything that happened that night, the reader wonders just what exactly did Trip do to Allie. With the help of her new boyfriend, an outcast named Blake, Allie learns that sometimes you really do need to know who your true friends are.

 I'd love to think every teen will read this book and learn something from it. I remember having a friend who was in an abusive relationship junior and senior year. No one stood up to help her, and she ended up marrying him by the end of senior year. It's that type of situation that this book addresses. I do hope my friend got out, but I admit I have no idea.

If you're looking for an emotionally charged romance/mystery, Breaking Beautiful really delivers. I think it's one of the top five young adult novels I've read this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment