Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, March 26, 2012

The Vanishing Game - Kate Kae Myers



Released February 2012

Kate Kae Myers
Bloomsbury USA

Book Review by Tracy Farnsworth

The Vanishing Game is creepy and mesmerizing all at the same moment. Yet, I also found myself slightly disappointed, and I'm finding that weighs heavily on my mind while doing the review. It's one of those books that I'm really glad I read, but I'd like to rewrite sections of the book.

Jocelyn's been mourning the loss of her twin brother, Jack, for a short while when she gets a letter from Jason December. Only three people knew about this Jason, Jocelyn, her brother, and their best friend Noah. The trio grew up in an abusive foster home that has left Jocelyn scared and suffering from nightmares ever since. Jason December was a game the children invented as a secret code only they understood. The reappearance of Jason December means one thing to Jocelyn - Jack must still be alive!

Jocelyn seeks the help of Noah because he is the only person who really knew Jack. Together, the teens set out to decipher Jack's clues and determine if he could possibly be alive. If so, why would he have faked his death?

There's no doubt that The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers is creepy and full of twists. It certainly kept me on my toes, and as someone who enjoys logic problems and various other puzzles, I was amazed to find that many of the puzzles were extremely hard to solve. Short of one, the others had me clueless.

It's the ending that left me floored. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I will bet that few readers see it coming. Quite honestly, the ending leaves you feeling like someone pulled the rug out from under you. For that reason, I can't see myself ever forgetting this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment