Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, January 16, 2012

Courtney Crumrin, Vol. 1: The Night Things - Ted Naifeh



Released April 2012

Ted Naifeh
Warren Wucinich
Oni Press

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Since childhood, I've loved scary stories. I remember gathering with friends and sitting around to see who could come up with the creepiest tale. My fascination with horror has never diminished, and I'm always happy to find a new author to try. Ted Naifeh's book features Courtney Crumrin, a girl whose family moves into an elderly uncle's mansion. Rumors around town are that the mansion is haunted, and from all appearances, Courtney is not going to argue. Strange noises keep her up at night and she runs into a creepy "thing" in the woods. By day, she's falling asleep in her new classes and facing the wrath of bullies after school. Little does she know her world is about to change.

Courtney Crumrin, Volume 1: The Night Things is comical, yet does contain the perfect amount of creepiness for middle schoolers. I think many children will relate to Courtney in terms of bullying, dealing with school issues and feeling out of touch with adults. The illustrations complement the story that involves goblins, changelings, talking cats and more.

For kids who are hesitant to read but have outgrown picture books, graphic novels are the perfect solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment