Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Juliet Spell - Douglas Rees



Released October 2011

Douglas Rees
Harlequin

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Shakespeare takes center stage in Douglas Rees' The Juliet Spell. Desperate to win the role of Juliet, Miranda Hoberman casts a spell that ends up with unexpected results. She somehow brings William Shakespeare's brother, Edmund, into modern time. Edmund's shocked by Miranda's world, but soon realizes he doesn't want to leave. Miranda's falling for Edmund and wants him to stay, but will his presence change history?

As much as I enjoyed reading The Juliet Spell, there were aspects I struggled to find believable. First, Miranda's mother seemed far too relaxed because if my daughter came to me with news that she'd somehow drawn forth a man from several centuries ago, I'd be questioning her sanity first and then keeping her far, far away from him. As the story progresses, there are things that Miranda and her mom have to teach Edmund that did cause me to laugh, so it's not enough to keep me from reading, but just enough to make me wonder why everyone was so accepting.

Another issue I had appears towards the end of the book. I can't give away any spoilers, but when it happened, it seemed far too simple for me. It's definitely not the way people in that situation would react and that really distracted me from the end.

Finally, and this is perhaps my biggest annoyance, Miranda came off as completely clueless at times. For someone who seems to be pretty insightful, she came across as incredible dense when it came to her friend Drew. I often found myself wanting to smack her upside the head.

Despite those three issues, I couldn't stop reading The Juliet Spell. It's one of those stories where despite my aggravation with the characters' actions, I really wanted to finish the story to see how things played out. For that reason alone, I'd recommend this book to fans of teen romances.

No comments:

Post a Comment