Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Antiquitas Lost - Robert Louis Smith



Released October 2011

Medlock Publishing

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Fifteen-year-old Elliott is having a rough time. He's been bullied for years due to unusual markings on his hands. The bullying doesn't stop when he and his mother move to New Orleans to live with his grandfather. Elliott's mother is dying and his grandfather knows that Elliott is her last chance. Unusual circumstances link Elliott and his family to another world, Pangrelor where an ongoing war plays an important part in whether Elliott's mother lives or dies. When Elliott finds the hidden entrance to Pangrelor, he becomes involved in the lives of many weird, often mythical, creatures, and must find the courage to help them win the upcoming war.

I've always been a huge fan of the Chronicles of Narnia books. Antiquitas Lost captures a bit of that, but it goes much farther. This story taps into parallel universes and how events in one world affect things happening in another. From the first sentence I was drawn into the story and couldn't wait to see how things played out.

Illustrations in Antiquitas Lost are the brilliant work of Geof Isherwood from Marvel Comics. The pen and ink drawings appear regularly through the book, and definitely added to the story. I found myself itching to go borrow my daughter's colored pencils and color (I find coloring to be extremely relaxing), but I withheld the urge only because I wanted to see what happened back in New Orleans with Elliott's mother.

Fantasy readers of all ages should grab a copy of Antiquitas Lost. It's a fascinating story full of a mix of characters, some creepier than others, and a storyline that really involves the reader. I can easily see my nephew, a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, finding hours of enjoyment with Robert Louis Smith's novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment