Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Dragonfly Prophecy - Jacquelyn Castle




Released 2011

Jacquelyn Castle
Class Act Books

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Anyone who's read my reviews knows I tend to have an issue with paperback books that cost the same as a hardcover. (There is a less expensive Kindle version available for those who own a Kindle.) Given that, many will find it surprising that I'm going to recommend getting a copy of The Dragonfly Prophecy. I wasn't expecting to love this book, but that's exactly what happened. The beginning of the story sucked me in and I simply could not put it down. I'm glad last night was a repeat episode of Criminal Minds because otherwise I would have been torn between my favorite show and reading a book that I found impossible to put down.

The story revolves around Lexi Blane. Apart from fainting spells and horrible nightmares about dragonflies, she's having the time of her life. She's fallen in love with a young, very rich British guy during a trip to England and William's on his way to meet her and her parents. From there, they're all going to fly to the Caribbean for a much-needed vacation. It's during this vacation that things go awry. Lexi suffers another fainting spell and this time she struggles to come back out of it. She hears snippets of her parents and William discussing things that make no sense, but for the most part, everything is a blur.

Lexi wakes up months later and discovers something equally shocking. Worse, no one has ever heard of William, yet Lexi is convinced he was real and not just a trick of her mind. As she tries to sort out reality from fantasy, she trusts in the friendship of a classmate who swears he understands and is like Lexi. With Chace by her side, Lexi hopes to make sense of what her true destiny involves.

I don't want to go any deeper into the plot because there are things the reader simply needs to learn first-hand. I definitely found myself hooked by the writing style from the start, and that's saying a lot considering fantasy really isn't my favorite genre. At times, I'm not really even certain that fantasy is the best way to classify this book. It's a mix of romance, paranormal, fantasy and suspense rolled into one. It's a marvelous read. Jacquelyn Castle is definitely an author to watch.

The Dragonfly Prophecy is for teens. Lexi is just finishing high school, but there's no subject matter that readers in the latter years of middle school and early years of high school should avoid. If parents worry about sexual content, drinking or violence, you won't find it here. Many parents, like myself, will find the story enjoyable and hard to put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment