Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Little Chicken's Big Day - Jerry Davis




Released April 2011


Simon and Schuster

Reviewed by Bob Walch

The minimalist approach to the text and illustrations of this picture book for children one and older is actually quite effective. Little Chicken’s day is pretty much dictated by his mother’s commands. From the time he gets up and has breakfast to when mother and son leave the chicken coop, Little Chicken hears a series of commands.

“Wash your face! Get dressed! Finish your food! “Time to go!” The litany goes on and on. And Little Chicken’s response is always the same, “I hear you cluckin’, Big Chicken!”

But then Little Chicken becomes distracted by a butterfly and becomes separated from his mother.  The pair are soon reunited so the story ends happily, but there seems to be a message here. Unfortunately, I have to admit I’m not sure what it might be, though. 

Since I was a little put off  by Big Chicken’s series of abrupt commands to her little one, I felt Little Chicken had a good reason to stray from his mama. That, though, is not the idea I think the author hoped to convey.

Because the illustrations are cute and certainly some youngsters can relate to an overprotective parent or an overbearing mother, this is a book that will engage a child on one level or another. So enjoy the pictures and don’t worry about any issues the text may present.

I think there are times we all hear the Big Chicken cluckin’ and, for our own peace of mind, tend to ignore her (or him)!

No comments:

Post a Comment