Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Poisoned House - Michael Ford




Released September 2011

Albert Whitman & Company

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Abi Tamper is a scullery maid at Greave Hall, but she's had enough of the cruel treatment by Mrs. Cotton, the sister-in-law of Lord Greave. After attempting to flee, she's returned to Greave Hall where her treatment does not improve. Though Abi's mother died a year earlier orphaning Abi, the family refuses to let her leave.

While assisting Mrs. Cotton to prepare for the return of Lord Greave's war-injured son, Abi is stunned to come into contact with her mother's ghost. Her mother's ghost is clear, cholera was not the cause of death, it wsa murder. Abi is determined to reveal her mother's killer for once and for all, but doing so when you're barely a teenager proves to be a bigger challenge than she expects. Secrets lurk in Greave Hall and someone will do anything to keep those secrets from being revealed.

The Poisoned House was so gripping that I simply had to read it in one sitting. Some teens may figure out the ending, I did but then I read mysteries all the time, so I'm accustomed to paying close attention to the clues. I'm betting most teens will find themselves shocked with the outcome.

Though this is a fictional story, it comes across feeling like a true story. It's simply an amazing read and one I am very glad I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment