Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mr. Popper's Penguins -



Released June 2011 (E-book version)

Richard and Florence Atwater
Open Road Media

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

With the current movie starring Jim Carrey, it's not surprising that there's renewed interest in Mr. Popper's Penguins. Somehow, I got through my childhood without reading this book, which is surprising given the amount of time I spent at the library both as an avid reader and later as a volunteer.

Mr. Popper paints and wallpapers rooms from spring to fall making money before winter sets in. Once the season ends, he stays home where his passion for Antarctica is clear. One night, he's listening to Admiral Drake's broadcast and hears that Drake received his letter and is sending him a special gift. The next day, a penguin arrives.

Fascinated with his new pet, Popper does everything he can to help this bird thrive. Soon, he's the proud owner of two penguins because his first became lonely. As his bank accounts dwindle and the penguin family grows, Popper realizes he must come up with a way to make a lot of money to keep his penguin family happy.

This really is a cute story and as I read it, I can see where Jim Carrey fits the role, I do have fears he'll go way overboard though. The writing is perfect for a child transitioning to chapter books and there are still pictures to help them visualize the action.

Before taking your children to see the movie, I do suggest purchasing a copy of Mr. Popper's Penguins and enjoying the story as it was written.

1 comment:

  1. I read this book as a child and my students have read it too. Many of us agree, the movie version really varies. Love the book...like the movie

    ReplyDelete