Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sometimes I Think I Hear My Name - Avi




Released September 1995

Avi
Avon Flare

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Thirteen-year-old Conrad Murray isn't happy that his aunt and uncle bought him a ticket to England. He wants to see his parents in New York City. Since their divorce, Conrad lives with his aunt and uncle in St. Louis. They treat him well, but it's not the same as having your parents with you.

It's been a long time since he's seen his parents, so his plan involves sneaking off to New  York City instead. There he catches up with a girl he met briefly at the travel agency in St. Louis. The teens set off to find his parents in a city Conrad barely knows.

Sometimes I Think I Hear My Name is short but carries a strong impact. Obviously, I'm older than the targeted age of the reader. I found myself worrying about Conrad's safety far more than either teen. Their determination and grit shined through, however. Conrad's friend Nancy is pretty resourceful and hides her own secrets. Readers learn more about her as the story goes.

I won't say this is one of my favorite Avi books. It's good and the story moves swiftly, but to me it lacked the depth of some of his other books. I far prefer his historical books like The Crispin: Cross of Lead or The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment