Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Long, Long Sleep - Anna Sheehan




Released August 2011

www.candlewick.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Rosalinda Samantha Fitzroy awakens from stasis to learn 62 years have passed. Her parents never woke her up. Now they're dead, and Rose fears her boyfriend met the same fate. The teen boy in front of her, Brendan, is shocked to have discovered her. His grandfather puts him in charge of watching out for her, a task Brendan finds much harder to handle when it becomes clear that someone has put a hit on Rose. The robots after Rose were banned years ago, but they're persistent and virtually impossible to defeat.

A Long, Long Sleep is futuristic, a genre I usually don't like, but in this case it really works. I really became connected to Rose and the dilemmas she faced. She's a very strong, likable character, maybe a touch naive. As she becomes stronger following the 62-year dormancy, she really comes out of her shell.

The author creates a lingo that the current teens use in Rose's new school. One is the frequently used "coit," which I guessed is a swear word derived from coitus. I learned after that "coit" is an Australian slang word that means "asshole." Most teens hear curse words on a regular basis from their peers, teachers and television/movies, so I don't think many parents will object to this one.

Without giving away any spoilers, the ending of the book makes me wonder if there may be two more stories to come. There's a secret revealed towards the end that intrigued me. I hope this isn't the last we'll hear of Rose and her new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment