Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Attack of the Vampire Weenies - David Lubar




Released May 24, 2011

www.tor.com
www.davidlubar.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Attack of the Vampire Weenies is another hilarious collection of short stories from David Lubar. Every story is short enough for advancing readers, most only last a few pages. Each story offers creepy, often comical tale of horror, but their so light and comical that they really won't scare younger readers.

Like the author, I'm a fan of Stephen King's work, particularly his earlier works. What he does far better than King is infuses humor into his stories. When I read Rapt Punzel, I snickered at the ending. How incredibly fitting! I also chuckled when he so perfectly mirrored what my teen son has been saying for years: "Vampires aren't sparkly."

Stories within Attack of the Vampire Weenies include tales of vampires, a television-addicted young woman, mimes (I agree with the hero, mimes are creepy), and even a set of mysterious child-locator window decals. There's the tale of an unforgettable roller coaster ride, a cat with a special purpose, and a gym class that no child would expect. In all, there are more than 30 short stories. Some are clearly lined with the horror genre, while others are simply along the lines of the unexplained. All are engaging, easy reads.

If you've missed any of the "Warped and Creepy Tales" books, I really recommend them. My kids are well into their teens now and love the stories just as much as my neighbor's 10 year old does.

No comments:

Post a Comment