Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Little Prince - Joann Sfar (Graphic Novel)















Released October 18, 2010

www.hmhbooks.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

In this retelling of the famous Antoine de Saint-Exupery novel, Joann Sfar turns the story into a graphic novel that pre-teens will enjoy. Set in comic book fashion, readers learn the story of an aviator who crashes in the desert with little food or water. He's visited by a young blonde boy who comes from a distant star. The boy asks the aviator to draw him a sheep, a hobby the aviator avoids because adults told him his artwork was not "serious stuff."

The prince was happy on his planet until he discovered a new, albeit extremely beautiful flower. When the flower turns out to be pretty in looks only, the prince decides to leave. He sets off on a journey that takes him to many planets including earth.

I am probably one of the rare few adults who never read The Little Prince as a child. As hard as I tried to get the story, it came off for me as little more than a hallucination that I didn't want to be part of. However, Joann Sfar didn't write the story, he's simply putting it to picture.

His pictures are quite vivid. The illustrations draw your attention and definitely help with the plot. Had I not had the pictures, I wonder if I could have made it through the entire story. Having the visual helped push the plot along as the story bounced from the aviator to the little prince and back.

That said, I'm not sure how The Little Prince fans, and I know they're out there, will receive this new adaptation. It's unique and very trendy. I liked it and, best of all, the story seems to follow the original perfectly. I do dislike when someone changes key aspects of a plot to suit their needs. Joann Sfar doesn't do that with this adaptation. However, I know from years of reviewing that graphic novels are not always well received...

No comments:

Post a Comment