Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Summer of the Geek - Piper Banks (Young Adult)



Released May 2010

www.penguin.com
www.piperbanks.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Miranda Bloom returns in another engaging teen romance. This time, Miranda has the boyfriend of her dreams, her step-sister is starting to become a good friend, she's chosen as a writer for the high school's newspaper. Plus, Miranda has the opportunity of a lifetime when her novelist mother asks her to move to London.

Miranda also has issues. Dex, her boyfriend, is starting to hide things from her. Her step-mother and father are fighting constantly and she knows it's because her step-mother dislikes her. Worse, she's not sure she really wants to move to London, but also knows it's an incredible opportunity. What's a girl to do?

I grew up entranced by a series of teen romances offered by Loveswept romance. While I"m excited to see Harlequin is tapping into the teen romance market finally, I'm always on the lookout for books that would appeal to my teen. Summer of the Geek definitely meets her tastes. Both my teens are "gifted" and I know my daughter will easily related to Miranda's issues and successes.

The writing is engaging, the characters all have their quirks making them equally likable, but my main draw to the story was seeing a gifted teen try to mentor a gifted child. It's not an easy thing to do and I love that Piper Banks didn't sugar coat challenges. Everything is laid out in a sensible way with realistic struggles and thoughtful solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment