Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, March 22, 2010

B is for Bufflehead - Steve Hutchcraft (Picture Book)



Released November 2009

www.photohutch.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

I enjoy watching birds in action and, as a result, my children have picked up on my interest. B is for Bufflehead offers vivid photography while providing a lesson about birds with which children, and some adults, may not be familiar.

Blending the photographs with engaging text, suitable for young readers, Steve Hutchcraft introduces a full list of birds from A to Z, usually two birds for each letter. "A" starts with Auklet and Avocet. I found myself learning a lot about birds I've not seen before. Others like Mourning Doves and Great Blue Herons often frequent my area. Regardless, I was entranced by the easy-to-follow writing and the outstanding photos.

A sampling of birds you'll find in this book includes:

  • Great Kiskadee
  • Green Jay
  • Loon
  • Roseate Spoonbill
  • Rufous Hummingbird
  • Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker
Kids of all ages will enjoy B is for Bufflehead. While the writing is geared towards the younger crowd, I feel that ages 6 to 12 will learn plenty. The final quiz on identifying a few of the birds certainly appeals to curious children and should prove fun. Final informative facts about each bird will help kids doing research projects. In addition, adults may find themselves equally interested by the photography of these feathered friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment