Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Secrets Girls Keep (Non-Fiction)



Released November 2009

www.secretsgirlskeep.com
www.girlswithdreams.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Secrets Girls Keep... As adults, we think we know what our 'tweens and teens are experiencing in school and among their peers. We know because we've been there. Yet, some teens remain reluctant to share their day to day experiences with their parents. If those girls lack someone to confide in, they end up feeling alienated and alone. Carrie Silver-Stock's self-help guide helps girls realize they are not alone. It also provides an outlet where girls can join and talk about their experiences with others their age through sites like Facebook. (A note on Facebook, you must be 13 or older to form an account.)

Both my daughter and I read this book. While I leaned towards the personal accounts, my daughter found the self-assessment quizzes to be the most helpful. Obviously, age plays a part in what portion of the book is most helpful.

Secrets Girls Keep is packed with these self-assessment quizzes, real-life accounts, handy tips on many situations and a reference section for more information or additional help. Topics range from friendships to dating to online safety. The book is packed with things that I easily related to and things I know I've talked to my daughter about as she experiences them.

While many schools are doing better at ending bullying and peer pressure, there are still problems out there. This book may be the best book you'll purchase for your daughter as she grows up. Always keep an open channel of communication. Thankfully, my kids come to me with concerns. I just wish I'd had the guts to when I was their age. My self-esteem took a huge beating in middle and high school and, as a parent, it's one thing I am avid against seeing my own children go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment