Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Roundtable Reviews wishes everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Because I have a full house with both kids and my husband off, posts for the next week will be sporadic. We'll be cozying up for family time and getting some baking done for the start to the holiday season.

If you want a fun activity to do with the kids, I usually start a week before Thanksgiving and put together some homemade sourdough starter. It's simple to do and kids love to watch the progress from day to day.

4 cups water
2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
4 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in lukewarm water for five minutes. Use a glass or ceramic bowl, metal and plastic generally create off tastes. Stir in the flour and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Put it in an out of the way spot and let it sit for two days.

After two days, stir it up and smell it for the desired level of sourness. Once it has reached that point, jar it up and put it in the fridge. I tend to refrigerate mine when it smells like apple cider vinegar (three days in my house.)

You can use the starter in any bread recipe. I have a tried and true roll recipe that takes little time and requires no kneading. If interested, go ahead and drop me a quick email.

No comments:

Post a Comment