Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Centauri Serenade (Juvenile)



Released January 2009

www.lldreamspell.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Unusual dreams plague fourteen-year-old Annie Wren. This is only the beginning of her troubles. Her mother and father are talking about shipping her off to a boarding school because of her poor grades. Worse, they've forbidden her from continuing in orchestra, the one place she feels relaxed while playing her violin. Stress mounts and Annie finds herself suffering from persistent stomachaches.

Annie needs to escape and for some weird reason, her grandparents' vacation home in Maine is drawing her. She's feared that cabin since childhood, but thinks the answers to her dreams and flashes of old memories will be found there. She has no idea of the trip that awaits her!

CENTAURI SERENADE is a science-fiction book, though much of the book is set in present day in locations that readers will recognize. Once Annie travels to a new galaxy, the science-fiction aspect kicks in, though it still seems very human to me.

The storyline is fast paced and keeps you reading. I can't say it was my favorite story, I had issues with Annie's parents being so ignorant to her needs, but I am looking at it from an adult point of view. At the same time, there are aspects when Annie comes across as completely selfish making me dislike her attitude too. Middle school readers may be less distracted by the parents and Annie's attitude and able to focus solely on Annie and her journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment