Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Growing Up (Juvenile)



Released June 2009

www.rachelyoderbooks.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

This is the final book in Wanda E. Brunstetter's Rachel Yoder series. In this offering, Rachel spends more time daydreaming than getting her work done. This leads to numerous problems from unfinished schoolwork to farm animals who escape when Rachel fails to latch the gate properly. Tired with Rachel's lack of responsibility, her mother doubles her chores hoping to break Rachel of her lackadaisical work ethics.

If you've not read other Rachel Yoder books, don't worry. They stand alone beautifully. The books paint an honest picture into the life of an Amish girl. I'll admit, I often feel sympathetic with Rachel because she is a kid with all these chores to handle, more so when her brother's dog gets into the house and is on her bed and she gets yelled at for the dog's actions, though there is no obvious proof it was her fault. I realize there is a big difference in cultures between Rachel's mom and myself, but there were times I definitely found the parents to be out of line. I wonder how many readers will also have that issue.

Readers will learn a lot about the Amish culture through Rachel Yoder's eyes. With the addition of a craft project at the end and a quick dictionary of Amish words, there is plenty to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment