Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Summoning ('Tween & Teen)



Released April 2009

www.chloesaunders.com
www.harperteen.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

My daughter asked me to start this review with her statement: "This is the greatest book I've ever read. Mom, you have GOT to read it next."

It still amazes me that a 'tween I had to force to read for 20 minutes a night has suddenly become a bookworm. Seriously, she comes home from school and, if the weather isn't her definition of perfect, curls up in her room with the radio on and a book in hand. THE SUMMONING got a double-thumbs up from her.

THE SUMMONING introduces Chloe Saunders. She's 15, loathes the fact that her period has yet to arrive and has a father who is generally away on one business trip or another. The magical day arrives when her period hits. She's "grinning like an idiot" over its arrival, but things soon become strange.

Chloe sees the rotting corpse of a custodian and does what any normal person would do--screams and runs. The problem is he doesn't give up. Soon, Chloe is whisked away to the Lyle House and diagnosed with schizophrenia. The thing is Chloe is not schizophrenic, she's actually seeing ghosts.

As Chloe makes new friends at Lyle House, she learns there is more to this facility than she could ever imagine.

This is the first book in a trilogy. I happened to read Book Two before the first, but that didn't matter. Going back to see how things got started helped fill in the blanks, and I never felt like I knew to much to make the story worthwhile. In fact, I couldn't put it down.

If you love teen fiction and go nuts for paranormal, you cannot miss this series! Chloe is extremely likable.

My daughter's already asking me if Kelley Armstrong has finished the third book yet. She's not happy with the answer--May 2010--but good things come to those who wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment