Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Missing (Pre-Teen)



Released August 2009 (Paperback)

www.bloomsburyusa.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

MISSING tells the story of thirteen-year-old Maxine Moody. Close to a year ago, her older brother ran away. Since then, her parents have forgotten her. All they talk about is Derek and push her aside. When her parents are called to London to identify a body, a body that turns out to be Derek's, Maxine hopes things will improve; instead, they worsen. And then one night, Maxine gets a phone call from a boy who sounds a lot like Derek claiming he is alive and wants to see her.

My daughter loved MISSING. She read it in one sitting. I found it equally enjoyable. I'd like to think the bullying that happens in Maxine's school is exaggerated, but my daughter said that even her school allows bullies from "troubled homes" to get away with many of their actions. I find that disgusting and am glad this book opened that door so that we could talk about it.

The hardcover version of MISSING is available here:



Otherwise, the paperback version comes out later this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment