Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sunday, May 3, 2009

I Want To Be Free (Picture Book)



Released January 2009

www.penguin.com/youngreaders
www.josephslate.com
www.eblewis.com

Reviewed by Deb Fowler

He is a young slave and wants his freedom, but when he tried to run he was captured and chains were slapped on his ankle. There is only one thing running through his head, he cannot escape that, but he can try to run any chance he gets.

Before I die, I want to be free.
But the Big man says, “You belong to me.”

He ran, but couldn’t remove the ring. No one could help him and no one could help a motherless child left behind for the dogs and the Big man to find. He wasn’t going to leave a defenseless child to perish or lose his soul to slavery. He took the child and ran to the Land of the Free. Would the young man and little boy find what they were looking for so far away from home?

This is a touching and heartwarming poetic tale of an unlikely partnership and their quest for freedom. The watercolors were sweeping and poignant, one especially reminiscent of Kunta Kinte’s dilemma with his chains. It’s a beautiful story that shouldn’t be passed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment