Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Doc Wilde and the Frogs of Doom (Juvenile)



Released May 2009

www.penguin.com/youngreaders
www.docwilde.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Author Tim Byrd introduces the Wilde's, a family of adventurers who are well trained in all they do. In this debut novel, Brian and Wren learn their grandfather's gone missing. The only clue they have is a photograph of the grandfather standing in front of a frog-shaped cave and an emerald frog with ruby eyes.

Soon the mystery takes a more unusual turn. A new variety of frogs attack their building and the trio are attacked by man sized frogs. They set off on an adventure that takes them to the jungles where they discover more mutant frogs and the challenge of a lifetime.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. I did find it reminiscent of old Johnny Quest with the snappy dialog, unusual foes and general camaraderie between the kids, their father and their father's assistants.

I can't say that all girls will love this series, but I know quite a few who will. Meanwhile, I know for certain that boys, especially those who like Indiana Jones, Johnny Quest and adventure movies like National Treasure and The Mummy will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment