Note to Readers

I have not received any compensation for writing this post other than a free digital or print copy of the book. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Monday, April 13, 2009

The Awakening (Young Adult)



Released April 28, 2009

www.harperteen.com
www.chloesaunders.com

Reviewed by Tracy Farnsworth

Since the Twilight series blew my 'tween away, she always has her nose in a book. However, she's been struggling to find a series that holds her attention as strongly as the Twilight books. And then I was sent a copy of THE AWAKENING!

This is the second book in a series. Suffice it to say, neither of us have read the first book, The Summoning. My daughter is always iffy on jumping into a series that has started, I figure it's all part of the reviewing process. This turns out to be a test to see if the author can catch previous readers up to date and still make them want to read the first. Kelley Armstrong succeeded on both levels.

After a failed attempt to escape the Lyle House, Chloe Saunders is back behind locked doors. She soon learns that she and her friends are part of a failed genetic experiment that has left her able to see ghosts and awaken the dead. Two of her friends, Derek and Simon, were not recaptured. While her captors want her to lead them to the missing boys, Chloe wants to get as far away from the Edison Group as possible. There are two problems. Chloe isn't sure who she can trust. Moreover, the Edison Group is watching her like a hawk, will she have a second chance to escape?

I hate when life becomes so busy that I can't sit down and read a book non-stop. In the end, I got up at 4 a.m. to finish the book before rousting my kids for school. THE AWAKENING is gripping and definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I'm hooked and am dying to read the first book. It will have to wait for now. Our public library doesn't have the book and my daughter's school library feels that books of this nature are not appropriate for middle schoolers. They refuse to stock it despite the fact that it is books like this that are inspiring kids to read! school.

Open-minded parents should not hesitate to get this series for their middle and high schoolers. There is mild violence, but it's nothing that kids do not see every day on the news or even in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment